High Intensity Training in Practice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still the ultimate: The Chin Up

5 posters

Go down

Still the ultimate: The Chin Up Empty Still the ultimate: The Chin Up

Post  AceHIT Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:49 am

Nitro, Hammer Strength, Med X.

But when it comes to lats, plain ol' chins are still the ultimate exercise.

I believe Med X and Nautilus machines are superior for every exercise except the latismus doris. Here chins rule.

I thought I had under-developed lats util I switched to using the MedX Pulldown; the difference was like day and night. My lats got SMALLER with the Pull and I now realise how much bigger and stronger they were when I was on a routine of weighted chins.

MArtin Berkhan of Leangains has excellent lat development; and he uses chins exclusively for his upper back.

Arthur Jones developed the Pullover thinking it would be superior to chins; it wasn't. A fact tacitly accepted by Arthur Jones as evident in his later writings.

I've never used the first generation Nautilus SuperPullover which was supposedly the best Pullover ever but even then the chins are a superior choice.

What are your views?

AceHIT

Back to top Go down

Still the ultimate: The Chin Up Empty Re: Still the ultimate: The Chin Up

Post  Ciccio Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:05 am

I agree that chins are very effective for lats and biceps!
Want a 3 exercise lat+bi-blitz?
Rack pulls imediately followed by chins imediately followed by alternated DB curls.
Enjoy the pump!

Franco
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  AceHIT Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:39 am

Ciccio wrote:I agree that chins are very effective for lats and biceps!
Want a 3 exercise lat+bi-blitz?
Rack pulls imediately followed by chins imediately followed by alternated DB curls.
Enjoy the pump!

Franco

Thanks for that, will try it for my next work out.

What are rack pulls? How are they performed?

AceHIT

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 am

Rack pull = partial deadlift in the power rack, starting with the bar just below knee cap height. Go heavy and set down and re-grip after every rep. Not slower then 5/5.
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave S Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm

For me the pullover works better than chins or pulldowns. I do pullover/pulldown when I use the pullover most of the time. As of late the partial dead and partial high pull as Bill Shali does is giveing me better results than chins and pulldowns.

Dave S

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am

Hey Adnan!

Did you ever try it?

Franco
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  AceHIT Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Ciccio wrote:Hey Adnan!

Did you ever try it?

Franco

Franco

Funny you should ask.

I have just come home, in a daze because of my routine today.

Here it is:

1. Chest Press, Negative Only

2. Rack Pulls

3. Chins, weighted, 15kgs

4. Dumbell Curls, 30 pounds each

5. 4 way neck

My arms are still trembling an hour after the work out. I feel very, very tired, eyes feel droopy and I've lost my appetite.

Keep in mind that I fast intermittently so I still haven't eaten my calories for the day and its almost 2200hrs here. I feel really nuaseous.

I don't think this should be practiced more than twice a month and the stimulation is very, very intense.

Thanks for the great, great tip Franco.

Give me two days to recover and I will post a picture of my biceps.

AceHIT

Back to top Go down

Still the ultimate: The Chin Up Empty Chins!!!

Post  coomo Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Ace, you took the words out of my mouth.Its really eerie, ive been thinking the same for a few weeks since starting my chins, dips deads/sqaut w/o.the apprehension, i feel before the chins, is the highest its ever been.Tohight i managed 6 slow reps,1 forced then 2 negs. then into a 1-1/2 rep dip, then 10 slow trap bar deads(off a 2inch box) im getting stronger every w/o, (one more chin tonight) my biceps are noticeably bigger,and im making more upper body progress, with this simple routine, than using a full line of nautilus.If its hard itsmore productive, jones was right on this!

coomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:41 am

AceHIT wrote:
Ciccio wrote:Hey Adnan!

Did you ever try it?

Franco

Franco

Funny you should ask.

I have just come home, in a daze because of my routine today.

Here it is:

1. Chest Press, Negative Only

2. Rack Pulls

3. Chins, weighted, 15kgs

4. Dumbell Curls, 30 pounds each

5. 4 way neck

My arms are still trembling an hour after the work out. I feel very, very tired, eyes feel droopy and I've lost my appetite.

Keep in mind that I fast intermittently so I still haven't eaten my calories for the day and its almost 2200hrs here. I feel really nuaseous.

I don't think this should be practiced more than twice a month and the stimulation is very, very intense.

Thanks for the great, great tip Franco.

Give me two days to recover and I will post a picture of my biceps.

Great additions of the chest press and neck work, albeit I would rather do it as a stand-alone mid-week in addition to the usual once weekly FB for one to two weeks before doing another mid-week specialization for other muscles or going back to once weekly FB for the same time.
The appetite thing (and following sleeping-problems) can be avoided by working out earlier (if possible) thus giving more time to come down after the training. It's also less pronounced if you just do the 3-4 sets for the given muscle group(s).
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveH Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:57 pm

I have heard people claim for a while they got better results from chins than pulldowns. I have a chin/dip bar, but have been doing pulldowns and never spent a lot of time on chins. On my next training cycle, I am going to use chins instead. I also wouldn't mind experimenting a bit with negative chins.

DaveH

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:02 am

For me NO chins never really cut it in terms of measurable results. I gave up on them when the weight plates on the belt exceeded 110lbs. It was very uncomfortable and not safe to climb to the top position with that and the last rep felt like something might break (in my shoulder girdle!).
I'm experimenting with static chins at midrange for a while now, done in rest-pause style. It works nicely for me.

Franco
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave S Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Ciccio are you talking about the Max Pyramid style with the chins?

Dave S

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 am

Dave S wrote:Ciccio are you talking about the Max Pyramid style with the chins?

Not exactly, I don't do the pyramiding. Just hold 5x10seconds with 10seconds rest between "reps" with max weight for that.
I use the gymboss.com intervall timer to standardize. Before I was just watching a big clock but this proved to be suboptimal for several exercises (neck strain!). If I can do the full 5x10 (fail on 6.) I up the weight by ~2.5%, if I can do 6 or more I go up ~5%.

Franco
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave S Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 am

Thanks just wondering, Sounds like a good idea.Worth a try. Ive done the mp style a few times with the pulldown,pullover,ohp,and leg press.

Dave S

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:40 am

Another good (and harder) variation would be to use a slightly wider then shoulder width parallel grip, elbows out, hold where arms are parallel to the floor. Pinch shoulder blades. Your lats will hate you! Twisted Evil

Try it with Dips too! Dynamic Dips have an awful resistance curve and tend to stress the shoulders too much in the bottom (especially for folks with long arms like me). Static at the midpoint between bottom and lock out works the triceps like no other exercise for me.
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave S Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54 am

Sound like a good idea for dips.

Dave S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down