High Intensity Training in Practice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Secret Of Developing Muscular Strength

Go down

The Secret Of Developing Muscular Strength Empty The Secret Of Developing Muscular Strength

Post  Fitness Scientist Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:57 pm

The Secret off Developing Muscular Strength
by Fitness Scientist

DeLorme and Watkins advocated one of the first attempts at unlocking the secret of building strength in 1948. They established the concept of “repetition maximum.” The maximal load that a muscle group can lift over a given number of repetitions before fatiguing." defines strength. They recommend 10 reps, working up to your maximum in three sets in the following way:

Set #1 = reps with a poundage of 1/2 your repetition maximum.
Set #2 = reps with a poundage of 3\4 your repetition maximum. Set #3 = reps with maximum poundage.

They also recommended a training frequency of four consecutive days per week, feeling that 5 days per week prohibited complete muscle recovery.

This study formed the bedrock of later studies by DeLorme and Watkins, as well as other researchers. The majority of these studies contradicted each other. Of course, it may be the despite the contradictions, each approach may have definite benefits.

The same is true today--there is much confusion and contradiction within strength training recommendations. Some authorities claim that using 80 percent of maximum will produce the same results as "going to failure" with maximum weight.

In his classic book, Nautilus Training Principles, Bulletin No. 2, Arthur Jones had this to say about weight and repetitions: "But, regardless of the number of repetitions you can perform in perfect form, don't stop at any particular number, and don't stop simply because cheating becomes necessary; instead, do as many repetitions in perfect form as you can-and then do two or three more repetitions, which will require cheating.

But cheat as little as possible, cheat the absolute minimum amount required-- if the weight swings up rapidly (Ed. note, he's talking about a barbell curl) and flops into the top position, then you are doing nothing worthwhile, nothing of any value for the arms at least, simply burning up energy for no good purpose.

He continues: "If you can perform only four or five repetitions without cheating, then the weight is too heavy --and should be reduced; in most cases, try to select a weight that will permit seven reps in perfect form then do a total of ten reps, cheating only as much as absolutely necessary during only the last three reps.

Or, if your "guide figure" (the number of repetitions you are trying for) is 15 reps, then use a weight that will permit about 12 reps in perfect form; in effect, use a weight that will permit 70 to 80 percent of the number of reps called for in the guide figure, then cheat two or three extra reps.”
“Bulletin No. 2 was copyrighted in 1971 but his recommendation still forms the core of a "high intensity" Nautilus workout.

He believes that the best method of building strength and size is to "go to failure," regardless of the "guide figure,” you are using for that particular set of exercise.

Mathews and Fox, in The Physiological Basis of Physical Education and Athletics, ISBN 072166184X, Copyright 1971 and 1976--W.B. Saunders Company say: "We can conclude that there is no single combination of sets and repetitions that yields optimal strength gains or everyone. . . there is an agreement in principle: If you want to develop strength, use progressive resistance exercises in the overload zone."

As simple as that sounds, that is the secret to building exceptional strength and size. While well known for years, trainees misunderstand this principle of exercise.

Most have worked in the "overload zone," unfortunately, most have not worked HARD ENOUGH while in that overload zone. Prior to meeting Arthur Jones, I thought I was working hard in the overload zone. After talking with Arthur and reflecting on my 20 years of on again off again barbell training, I realized that I was training below my capabilities.

Like most of the people training with barbells, I would pick a guide number of sets and reps, but then I made a BIG mistake: I would stop automatically at my predetermined number of reps. If I was using 10 reps as a guide, I would stop doing the exercise as soon as I hit 10 reps . Perhaps, I could have squeezed out two or three more reps--but I never gave it much thought.

I now know that I should have gone to failure and tapped my true strength potential, instead of stopping short of failure.

In effect, I was following the advice of those who recommended using 80 percent of maximum. Because I was slowly making progress, I felt that I was training properly. I was wrong.
When I followed Arthur Jones advice, I made the best progress ever and in about 1/3 the time. Moreover, I was using free weights--I did not have access to Nautilus. Eventually I did and really improved.

After training with free weights for 20 years and for 15 years with Nautilus equipment, following Nautilus concepts such as: standard procedures, negative
accentuated, negative only, hyper, infimetric, and duo-poly,--I have learned some facts that I would like to share with my readers.

The recommendations will surprise you; they may shock you--I hope they do not confuse you. I will be recommending certain concepts, repetitions, speed-of-movements, and sets. None of them is magic, or written in stone. Alter them to meet your preferences.

By that, I mean there is no magic in performing nine reps instead of 12 reps-- both can work--when properly performed. If you enjoy performing eight reps as a guide figure--do it. Just be sure to keep accurate records.

Much of the evidence I will share with you is of the "self evident truth" kind things I have learned while supervising about one half million one to one workouts. Why these methods work, I cannot explain with any scientific jargon-- all I can say is they worked for every man and woman, and they will work for you.

One word of caution: The more intense a workout program is, the greater the possibility of serious injury. For that reason, I have grouped the concepts in an order that brings you from the basics, into the most intense and advanced concept, the Primordial Principle, over a period of several workouts.

Just as a standard workout requires concentration and skill training, advanced workouts require greater concentration and precise skills in order to work at the most productive level.

Concentrate 100 percent on your workouts--do not get distracted--it may possibly result in permanent injury.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fitness Scientist

http://joemullenfitness.com . . . . . .www.bodbuildinghighintens

Back to top Go down