High Intensity Training in Practice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A stubborn brain!

2 posters

Go down

A stubborn brain! Empty A stubborn brain!

Post  thebiggfella Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello Bill. As you know, I've made a few changes to my workout, basically reducing the volume, re-jigging it and adding in seated rows. I've dropped partial deadlifts, thigh extns, direct abdominal work and am 'trying' to drop the preachers but have a real mental block about it. I've comforted myself by keeping them in there initially but doing them infrequently, maybe once every two or three cycles (every 8 - 12 weeks roughly).

I know it's irrational. They'll get plenty of stimulation from chins, high pulls etc. Since I started HIT I've dropped exercises and even my current routine which I started in January 2009 has seen it's fair share of changes, this latest re-vamp probably being the biggest. I've had no problem with this kind of thing in the past, just with the preachers. It probably stems from fear of atrophy but as I've said, it's irrational. I also enjoy preachers which will add to it. I don't do any direct tricep work either and they are fine and I had no such 'problems' when I dropped the tricep isolations.

It's akin to the anxiety I used to feel when I thought I may have to miss a workout back in my HVT days and the only time I've felt it since I started HIT.

I'm just wondering if you or any of your clients have had such a similar mental block? I know it's all in the mind and I'll overcome it, but it's a weird feeling and somewhat ridiculous!

If someone else has experienced similar, please feel free to chip in.
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

A stubborn brain! Empty Re: A stubborn brain!

Post  billsahli Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi my friend...

What is so amazing is that I posted the reply to you yesterday or whatever day you sent the PM and alerted me and I don't see it here! Gosh I am batting zero hu?

The just of it was this...

Yes... although we understand HIT and realize that as we get stronger we must compensate in some way, shape and form... somewhere down deep we feel that we may be missing something...

However, we also know that systemically is how the body grows and even exercises that do not hit the muscle at all or indirectly can cause it to grow.

Now saying that... there are some with genetics that are not as forgiving. For instance, my triceps grow very easy yet my biceps get strong also, but can not grow as easily as the triceps... In my case, I do to this day use direct biceps exercises unless I am on a heavy compound abbreviated workout.

As a bodybuilder, and at an advanced level, we have to look at our bodies and decide what additional sculpting we require. Example... do my delts need to be wider or does my biceps need to be higher. In that case you can employ other exercises to accommodate it.

At the same time, anytime I did such a sculpting, I would usually maintain my other lifts as to keep the stress down and focus on those areas.

Whatever you partake remember this as it relates to this question. It is an experiment and you are the it! You will not get smaller, you won't fall backwards, you can only get better and if you find that this is not the case, you can always add in the exercise of preference.

Just detach from the outcome and observe it as an experiment and your head will be much better! :-)

I hope this answers your question...

Best regards and blessings,
Bill
billsahli
billsahli

http://mindbecomesmass.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 am

Many thanks for the repy Bill. It makes perfect sense.
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum