High Intensity Training in Practice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise

+2
sgsims1
AceHIT
6 posters

Go down

Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise Empty Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise

Post  AceHIT Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 am

Yes, a damn fool!

I have thought very, very carefully before making this post. I intially wanted to post this four days ago but thought at the time I was being reactionary and brash and wanted to mull over this for a while longer to see if my views softened after a few nights sleep!

However, if anything, further observations in the intervening time have convinced me even more about what I am about to say.

And what I am about to say is nothing new; veterans of the field like Terry Carter, David Landau, Little, McGuff, Drew Baye et al have been saying this for far, far longer than I've been alive. They are the ones who ''get it''. Get it?

A lot of people, including HITers have taken offence at what they consider a rigid stance, or a simplistic view of exercise or what they deem is an excuse for apparent lack of muscularity or leanness or size. They consider this an extreme, close-minded view, they still want to believe it has to be something magical, something they haven't discovered as of yet that will give them the results they want. And what they want is to look like someone else.

Here is the story:

Some of you may be aware that I have been given the opportunity to run my own personal training facility. At the same time, certain investors have suggested to me that they would be willing to back me financially if I were to start fitness centres across the country. I am a Chartered Account by training (Certified Public Accountant is the American equivalent) and I have a firm grasp of numbers and financial feasibility studies and a HIT-based business model makes sense to me and the investors.

To this effect, I have solicited the help of people who are experienced in the HIT community! Since none of you want to relocate to Dubai I have been forced to place adverts for a business partner in the local papers and websites.

I received a very large response from ''personal trainers'' and ''experienced instructors''. Almost everyone I interviewed was very ''good-looking'' or muscular and lean.

However, everyone of them had no clue and I choose my words carefully when I say this NO CLUE about what comprises proper exercise science.

Over the course of 78 interviews the same bullshit you find in muscle magazines, in women's helath magazines, the same fraud about ''functional training'', was regurgitated over and over again!

Finally, I settled on one female personal trainer who apart from being drop-dead gorgeous (I think that may have influenced my decison a bit) was slightly more intelligent than the other 77 candidates I had interviewed.

Now this woman is what I'd called model material; actually she did some modelling back in the UK. Lean, muscular and looked like a ''personal trainer''.

I on the other hand, look like someone who might do push ups every now and then and that's about it.

Anyway, I took this girl up to the gym I'm about to buy and put her through her first HIT workout.

She is 27 years old and this is what happened.

1. Med X lumbar spinal machine: Had to reduce the weight to 60 pounds after just one rep because she has a twisted pelvis. She was reluctant to go to failure.

2. Med X Leg Press: Had to reduce the weight once again to 120 pounds because she has ''knee issues''. Stopped well short of failure because she didn't like the ''lactic acid'' build up which she reckons is bad for the muscles.

3. Med X Pulldown: Worked to failure on this but complained about grip issues.

4. Med X Chest Press: Stopped after 3 reps because she has a bad shoulder.

5. Med X Abdominal Crunch: Worked to failure. No complaints.

6. Med X 4 way neck: Refused to perform the exercise because she has a ''bad neck''.

So my point is, someone with so many physiological issues at the age of 27 and yet she looks like she works out.

And she charges US$ 150 per hour for her services!

By the way, this is not an observation in isolation.

Over the last 4 years of working part-time in gyms in London and in Dubai I have been surprised at the number of people who claim they are personal trainers and physique models and they have a multitude of injuries or are not very ''strong'' and ''fit'' at all despite looking like they are.

Ditto for some very muscular-looking and lean people I've trained.

So what is it?

Genetics, genetics, genetics.

See how the fools keep arguing, keep searching for the magical routine on Dr Darden's board? It is because they continue to underestimate the value of genetics in this ''game''. See how they play down or try and rubbish Drew Baye's acheivements just because he does not look like what they want him to look like?

See how they call Landau close-minded, see how they try and insult Terry Carter/ It is because they just don't 'get it'' or rather don't want to believe how they can't get around genetics.

So really, the only thing in our hands is to try and be the strongest, leanest, most muscular we can be. Compete against yourself, no one else.

There is no magic about it. The only trick is to ''get it''. Once you do, you are on your way to success.

That is why HIT is the ultimate training protocol. Because it will allow you to reach your genetic potential in the shortest time possible with minimum wear and tear.

AceHIT

Back to top Go down

Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise Empty Re: Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise

Post  sgsims1 Sat May 22, 2010 11:12 am

Excellent post Ace! I'm the victim of poor genetics for bodybuilding; but was blessed with height and a fully functional brain. HIT has and will continue to help me be the best that I can be with no excuses. What continues to amaze me is that the general population of weight trainee/wannabe muscle heads continue to denegrate people like Drew Baye and Doug McGuff because they don't look like roid head bodybuilders, even though they all look better built and more fit than the average male their age. I get compliments all the time on looking fit at and younger than my 46 years, even with my crappy genetics; all thanks to decent diet and HIT.

Two words really sum up this entire subject: Realistic Expectations Rolling Eyes
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

https://hitinpractice.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise Empty Re: Its genetics, nothing else: you are a fool if you believe othewise

Post  Terry Carter Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Great post, Ace, Arthur told the story about how he could gain good size in his arms and legs but not in his torso because of his genetics. Before he completely understood this he developed the pullover and the rest is history. He said if his torso had responded like his arms and legs, he would have thought that he knew it all and would never pursued more efficient exercise. The best ideas come from those with less than the best genetics because of necessity sometimes.

Terry Carter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciccio Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 am

Terry Carter wrote:Great post, Ace, Arthur told the story about how he could gain good size in his arms and legs but not in his torso because of his genetics. Before he completely understood this he developed the pullover and the rest is history. He said if his torso had responded like his arms and legs, he would have thought that he knew it all and would never pursued more efficient exercise. The best ideas come from those with less than the best genetics because of necessity sometimes.

Great post, Terry!
Ciccio
Ciccio

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Puny Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 am

Everything you say is quite right!

However, let me add one thing: you have genetic advantage as well. You have the genetics to be healthy and well enough to train with weights. In addition, you have the intelligence needed to understand the nature and value of proper exercise. Look around at the general populace and you will realize that this last part counts for a hell of a lot! And then consider where you would be without that.

Ultimately, the only way to discover the rest of our genetic potential is to have the drive and dedication to become as strong as we possibly can. And any human near their maximum level of strength with a low level of body fat looks damn impressive, additional genetic gifts or no!

Captain Puny

Back to top Go down

Post  sgsims1 Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Just felt like bumping this thread Very Happy
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

https://hitinpractice.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Terry Carter Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 am

A good one to bump. There would be a lot less confusion if only one would resolve to do their best within the limitations of their genetics. Balance intensity, frequency, and volume with efficient exercises and that is all that you can do and is always enough.

Terry Carter

Back to top Go down

Post  VinceJH Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 am

Great post!

I just love the fact that the female trainer did the abdominal exercise with no problems. (maybe because 'everyone needs washboard abs')

Anyway, I totally agree with the genetics side of things.
From research I have done on the subjects I have come to learn some valuable things.

1) Not everyone can get very lean. I mean the lean that 'fitness' models say you can. Here is why, everyone is born with different numbers of fat cells. As we get fatter or leaner, we don't loose fat cells, they just shrink. This is exactly why some people will always be big. But even these 'big' people can get a lean look.
No I don't say that people are really fat because of genetics. People are fat due to eating too much. Everyone can get to a good healthy lean (lean for their genetic limits) weight.

2) The same goes for muscle size. People who are naturally bigger (more muscular) will have the ability to put on more muscle that naturally thinner people. Due to the muscle fiber count. Again we are all born with different amounts.

What people have to realise is that we should not blame our genes for no giving us the body we really want. What it really does is gives us all a chance to challenge and push to the limits the genes we do have. That is what human nature is about. Or it should be. But people need to be realistic. Of course the mags and adverts will say we can 'get the body we always wanted'. They are motivated by money. Don't be fooled.

We shouldn't give up because people say "Oh no you shouldn't bother working out, you will gain no muscle/loose fat, because your genes say so."

Just go for it I say!

Vince
VinceJH
VinceJH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum