High Intensity Training in Practice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym?

+7
FiremanBob
natemason5
Paulus
thebiggfella
Turpin
Drew Baye
sgsims1
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym? Empty What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym?

Post  sgsims1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I've got a fascination with watches; mainly dive watches, pilot's watches, and military watches. Tons of forums and resources out there if any of you guys are ever interested or in the market for a new watch. In fact, my current watch (Speedbird III even says "Great Britain" at the bottom of the dial!) should be appreciated by our British contingent, as it was produced by a gentleman by the name of Eddie Platts, who makes some very nice custom watches over in Sheffield: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Some other resources for anyone with an interest:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Admin on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

https://hitinpractice.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym? Empty Hobbies outside of the gym

Post  Drew Baye Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

The great thing about HIT compared to a lot of the popular high volume training systems is it allows you to achieve equal or better results while living a well balanced life, instead of taking over your life like I've seen it done to some obsessive types.

When I'm not working out, training clients or writing about exercise I like to go for walks or to the park with my family, play guitar, practice martial arts and parkour, read, and play first-person-shooters on Xbox Live.
Drew Baye
Drew Baye

http://www.baye.com

Back to top Go down

What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym? Empty Re: What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym?

Post  sgsims1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Drew Baye wrote:
When I'm not working out, training clients or writing about exercise I like to go for walks or to the park with my family, play guitar, practice martial arts and parkour, read, and play first-person-shooters on Xbox Live.

This would make a great personal ad....I almost want to date you myself lol!
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

Back to top Go down

What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym? Empty Re: What's your hobby OUTSIDE of the gym?

Post  Turpin Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I breed and exhibit dogs ( Staffordshire Bull Terriers ) . I have been quite lucky/successful having bred 4 UK show champions and a host of other titles/awards I am also now( after some 16 yrs involvement ) a `top flight` ( A-list ) judge of the breed. I also enjoy the exercising of my dogs immensley.

Pic of me and 5 of the dogs on one of our morning runs;
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Best wishes , T.

Last edited by Turpin on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ADD PIC)
Turpin
Turpin

Back to top Go down

Post  sgsims1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Turpin wrote:
I`ll post some pics as/when I work out how to do it lol!

Best wishes , T.

Excellent Turpin....seems this forum allows you to host AND display your photos! I'm still figuring out all of the cool features available!

Last edited by Admin on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:32 pm

My main interests outside of training are Rugby union (I was a schoolboy international, sorry to boast!), Formula 1, boys toys (tech type stuff) and film. I also enjoy a good game of chess but it's hard to find anyone that plays.
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulus Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Interesting thread Very Happy

I'm another dog lover (I've owned and trained German Shepherds all my life) that takes up a fair bit of my spare time. Like Drew I have a weakness for the XBox - particularly FPS and RPG's. I play and watch cricket in the summer and do very little in the winter. I love history and archaeology. My main hobby though is classic motorbikes. I have a 1952 BSA B33 and a 1965 BSA Bantam that i'm just in the process of getting registered as I built it up from a basket case. I also have a Suzuki Bandit so sometimesI can enjoy riding faster than 60mph without being vibrated off the seat, not breaking down every other mile and not permanently leaking oil Very Happy

Glynn, Craig (otherwise known as Fatguythin) is a pretty mean Chess player. He'll probably give you a game Smile
Paulus
Paulus

Back to top Go down

Post  sgsims1 Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Paulus wrote:Interesting thread Very Happy

I'm another dog lover (I've owned and trained German Shepherds all my life) that takes up a fair bit of my spare time. Like Drew I have a weakness for the XBox - particularly FPS and RPG's. I play and watch cricket in the summer and do very little in the winter. I love history and archaeology. My main hobby though is classic motorbikes. I have a 1952 BSA B33 and a 1965 BSA Bantam that i'm just in the process of getting registered as I built it up from a basket case. I also have a Suzuki Bandit so sometimesI can enjoy riding faster than 60mph without being vibrated off the seat, not breaking down every other mile and not permanently leaking oil Very Happy

Glynn, Craig (otherwise known as Fatguythin) is a pretty mean Chess player. He'll probably give you a game Smile

Paul, pics of those bikes are a must!!!!!! And please invite Craig over here to the forum!
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulus Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Admin wrote:

Paul, pics of those bikes are a must!!!!!! And please invite Craig over here to the forum!

Will Do!
Paulus
Paulus

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Paulus wrote:

Ah, that's good to know Paul. I used to play it all the time at school as there were the 'brainy' unsporting ones who played chess and me. In fact there was a brainy type guy who played rugby and chess but wasn't particularly good at either. I also worked at a factory during school and college holidays and remember sitting on a big wool bale during my breaks playing chess with the trainee manager there. I much prefer playing it live than online though. Great to see you here by the way. I hope the training is going well and hopefully I'll get back down there to see you guys in the not too distant future.

Admin wrote:Paul, pics of those bikes are a must!!!!!! And please invite Craig over here to the forum!

Steve, I copied Craig into my email inviting various folks. Sorry Paul, I don't have your email so couldn't include you. You've got to hear about this though, that's the main thing.
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Turpin Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 pm

thebiggfella wrote:
Paulus wrote:

Ah, that's good to know Paul. I used to play it all the time at school as there were the 'brainy' unsporting ones who played chess and me. In fact there was a brainy type guy who played rugby and chess but wasn't particularly good at either. I also worked at a factory during school and college holidays and remember sitting on a big wool bale during my breaks playing chess with the trainee manager there. I much prefer playing it live than online though. Great to see you here by the way. I hope the training is going well and hopefully I'll get back down there to see you guys in the not too distant future.

Admin wrote:Paul, pics of those bikes are a must!!!!!! And please invite Craig over here to the forum!

Steve, I copied Craig into my email inviting various folks. Sorry Paul, I don't have your email so couldn't include you. You've got to hear about this though, that's the main thing.

Not to `up` on chess myself Glynn , however I was recently in contact with a good friend of mine a MMArtist who resides in Florida ( palm beach ) who was telling me of his good friend who was under the tuition of Mike Mentzer he said of his friends experience ; " I used to love Mentzer back in the day, one of the most cerebral body builders ever. I had a friend that I went to college with and after he graduated he pursued his dream and trained at the Golds at Venice Beach. He said that Mentzer had just gotten back into training people and would talk theories and play chess and hang out all day long." .... He said he would get/forward me more info on his friends training etc

T.
Turpin
Turpin

Back to top Go down

Post  Turpin Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Nice to see another dog lover Paul , we are becoming a dying breed ourselves in todays society ! ..... I too train dogs and do local calls as well as with my work.

Nice to see you here , T.
Turpin
Turpin

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Turpin wrote:
Not to `up` on chess myself Glynn , however I was recently in contact with a good friend of mine a MMArtist who resides in Florida ( palm beach ) who was telling me of his good friend who was under the tuition of Mike Mentzer he said of his friends experience ; " I used to love Mentzer back in the day, one of the most cerebral body builders ever. I had a friend that I went to college with and after he graduated he pursued his dream and trained at the Golds at Venice Beach. He said that Mentzer had just gotten back into training people and would talk theories and play chess and hang out all day long." .... He said he would get/forward me more info on his friends training etc

T.

That's a great image: bodybuilders talking about their sport and playing chess! I couldn't have imagined that. Let us know when you get that information.

From September 1988 to September 1989, I worked in Southern California but unfortunately, I wasn't into HIT way back then. I often think what it would be like if I was. I would have certainly made every effort possible to meet up with Mike Mentzer, even if I had to stalk him! A missed opportunity that will never present itself again.

Last edited by thebiggfella on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:33 am

I don't know about being a mean player. I do know how the pieces move, though. But the one that looks like a horse always confuses me. Am I right in saying it moves in a strange "L" shape?

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:37 am

Nice to see you here Craig. I trust all is well and that your going from strength to strength.

The 'L' shape. Yeah, that's the one. Is he related to you? Same name anyway!
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:48 am

Hi Glynn

I'm very well, thanks.

You're looking good in the avatar.

If you fancy a game we can meet online (I see that you don't particularly like online chess, but I'll be buggered if I'm coming to Scotland to play!).

Just promise to go easy on me, I'm not as young as I used to be.

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 am

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I've not checked in at your site for quite a while. I'll need to get that done. You should put a link to it in your signature. Thanks for your comments as well. I'm sounding like a broken record, but it never ceases to amaze me how little time-wise, of the RIGHT type of exercise is required to build, maintain and improve a decent physique when combined with the right diet. But then you knew that already!

Online chess is better than nothing Craig. However, I doubt you'll have too much trouble dealing with me at the moment. I'm VERY rusty not having played regularly in a long time. There's a site that I use to play against the 'computer' sometimes so I'll need to get back on that and see if I can sharpen myself up a bit, then we can arrange something by email.
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulus Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Sadly my 52' B33 is in dry dock at the moment as I'm halfway through de-rusting and sealing the tank. Modern petrol is not kind to old metal Smile

This is my 175cc powerhouse Bantam. It can do over 60mph if you're going downhill and the wind's in the right direction:

These are a couple of my hens looking at me when I was taking the photos Smile

Paulus
Paulus

Back to top Go down

Post  sgsims1 Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:35 pm

Neat bikes Paul! My Uncle had a Royal Enfield 650 I think for many years....the kick starter took a couple of nice chunks out of his leg Shocked

Craig, we need to put your site in our friends/resources sticky.... study
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulus Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Admin wrote:Neat bikes Paul! My Uncle had a Royal Enfield 650 I think for many years....the kick starter took a couple of nice chunks out of his leg Shocked

You can't beat a vicious kickback Smile You're Uncle's RE 650 sounds like a Constellation. They're very sought after now, I'd love a big Enfield twin.
Paulus
Paulus

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:44 am

Admin wrote:

That's been done Steve. I put links to the You Tube sites in there as well to keep everything together. Maybe we should include a section in that post for books: BBS, HIT The MM way, Heavy Duty 2, Drew's book when it's out etc?
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  natemason5 Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:23 am

Turpin wrote:I breed and exhibit dogs ( Staffordshire Bull Terriers ) . I have been quite lucky/successful having bred 4 UK show champions and a host of other titles/awards I am also now( after some 16 yrs involvement ) a `top flight` ( A-list ) judge of the breed. I also enjoy the exercising of my dogs immensley.

Best wishes , T.

Great looking dogs Turpin. That's an awesome hobby.

Nate
natemason5
natemason5

Back to top Go down

Post  Turpin Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 am

natemason5 wrote:
Turpin wrote:I breed and exhibit dogs ( Staffordshire Bull Terriers ) . I have been quite lucky/successful having bred 4 UK show champions and a host of other titles/awards I am also now( after some 16 yrs involvement ) a `top flight` ( A-list ) judge of the breed. I also enjoy the exercising of my dogs immensley.

Best wishes , T.

Great looking dogs Turpin. That's an awesome hobby.

Nate

Cheers Nate , The breed is often misrepresented in the media due in part to some of the f*ckwits who own them for the wrong reasons & also the well intended who treat them like babies and wonder why they end up with a dominant dog they cannot control , both scenarios again putting the breed as a whole in a bad light.

Heres a couple more pics of some of mine.

Last edited by Turpin on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
Turpin
Turpin

Back to top Go down

Post  sgsims1 Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 am

thebiggfella wrote:
Admin wrote:

That's been done Steve. I put links to the You Tube sites in there as well to keep everything together. Maybe we should include a section in that post for books: BBS, HIT The MM way, Heavy Duty 2, Drew's book when it's out etc?

Absolutely, any and all HIT resources that we can think of. We're not here for profit or to promote anyone's product, only to point others to any and all of the resources that each of us have benefited from in the past. This is a place to send people you meet who may express an interest and need a one-stop-shop for info. and resources from an unbiased source. study
sgsims1
sgsims1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thebiggfella Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Turpin wrote:
The breed is often misrepresented in the media due in part to some of the f*ckwits who own them for the wrong reasons

Nice pics T. When I was a kid in the 1980's, we had a Rottweiller, Trudi, as a family pet. This was well before they got the 'devil dog' tag due to the reason you mention above.

When folk walked up and down the road outside our house, she would bark like crazy, sounding really vicious. However, what the passers by never noticed was that her stump (they used to dock the tails of Rotties in those days) was wagging like buggery. A great guard dog!

She was a lovely dog, mild mannered, and no matter how much my younger brother and I used to tease and annoy her as kids do, never once did she get nasty. Looking back, we really pushed her as well. One of our favourites was to put one of my mum's stockings on her head bank robber style.

I'm not saying any more. This is starting to sound ridiculous! It's nice to reminisce though.

Last edited by thebiggfella on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formatting)
thebiggfella
thebiggfella

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next